The Family In The Attic:

I have this huge attic in my house, the kind you imagine being in a Victorian house, with lots of storage space but not as grand as the one on the TV show "Charmed". When the family moved out they left behind loads of boxes with various things crammed in them, nothing worthy of the “Antiques Road Show” but nonetheless interesting. See they had to put Grandma into a nursing home and at 87 she had lived in this house for over 50 years, so lots of stuff in the attic. NOT TO MENTION all the old lady stuff inside the house too, Venetian blinds, carpet, drapery, and faux blond paneling, etc. all updated nicely in the 1950’s. So I was poking around the attic the other day when I ran across a box under the rafters that I've never noticed before. Hmmm, I open it to find numerous photo albums filled with dated pictures of this family throughout the past century all posed in various rooms of my house. Interesting to say the least but nothing that gives me a glimpse as to how this house once was, just pictures of this family proudly posing for snapshots in a 1950’s modern make-over of my Victorian home.

I present to you,

The Attic:













































4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd just love to be rummaging in that there LaChoy box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayem8y what are your views on antimacassars? My mother has finally got rid of her old leather Chesterfield three piece suite, which she has had for about 15 years! and has replaced it with a more tasteful Laura Ashley one in plain cream fabric. However, when I called round to see it the other day, it was covered in pink floral antimacassars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antimacassar’s can have a place in the parlor. Especially if your mother has made do with a chesterfield suite for over a decade. I for one toss them away or tuck them under a cushion, just in case I might need the swatch for reference, but to answer your question, NO I DO NOT USE ANTIMACASSARS! I expect that as the newness wares off the antimacassars will disappear as well. Unless you made a big deal about it which might drive her to leave them in place come Hell or high water. Does your Mother tend to label things and or laminate the fabrics and lampshades? Is she fussy? Are there doilies scattered about the piano or the mantle? Then she might be going for a certain frilly look, If she is concerned about soiling her new suite then she probably won’t get rid of them. Be careful not to lounge about her new sofa leaving grime on the arms and laying a greasy unwashed head on the pillows and back when visiting her over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moi, leave grime on the arms and a greasy head! Who do you think I am Bill sykes? I expressed my concerns to my mother about the antimacassars, saying that it made the room look common. She told me they were a gift from her nosy neighbour Ann, she'd been observing unseen behind her secret veil (net curtains) at the comings and goings of my mother's suite delivery and she'd brought them over as a gift, and because Ann often pops in for coffee and a gossip, she's no other alternative then to use the poxy things. I did suggest putting the house up for sale and moving, but she likes it where she is.I did warn her never get friendly with the neighbours.

    ReplyDelete